I have been in Turkey for more than a month now and all the time I go to the shop a cross the street for some bread or some chocolate. The owners of the shop are two man who also breed pigeons. One of them is an old men, but the other one is middle aged. The thing is that from the day one I know they don't speak English, actually a lot of Turks don't and of course I do not speak Turkish, so we always communicated with a lot of pointing, waving and smiling until one day.. I went inside the shop and saw that this time the middle aged man is behind the counter, I took some sweets and gave him some money and before going out he showed me some cards that have English writing on them, that was his way of telling me that he is trying to learn some English. Meanwhile I had been studying some Turkish, I have my on line Turkish courses and it is really not a good way how to learn a language, but at least I am starting to understand some very basic things. So next time when I went in to the shop I said - Merhaba! I took my stuff, gave him some money and said -Teşekkür ederim! And you know what he said to me? He said - Here you are! I was so surprised that I smiled while climbing the stairs to my flat.
Interesting - I was using Turkish words, he said some in English- we changed places. And I am eager to learn some more Turkish, so I can show him my respect by speaking to him in his language while I am in his country.
Nav komentāru:
Ierakstīt komentāru